Not too long ago, PSEmu Pro was released to the public for the
first time. This was a very awaited emulator since it plays a
variety of Playstation games. Playstation is the most popular
console on the market, thus the greatness of this emulator. We
decided to drop Tratax a couple of Questions so you can
take a look behind the scenes at PSEmu Pro and his creators.
Duddie was too busy to be part of this InterView so we will catch
up with him later.
|PSEmu Pro's Tratax InterViewed! - September 12, '98 by JoseQ
1. So how's PSEmu Pro? Whats next in the list of to-do things?
More and more games are starting to work now, though compatibility
is still a problem. So Duddie will continue on improving compatibility,
and I will improve the GLIDE driver, and the CPU core (both speed
and compatibility). The GTE also needs improvements.
2. How has the response been since the last release?
Well, the release was maybe a bit too early, so many users had
problems with the configuration dialog and such, or couldnt use
it because of the non-existent IDE support. Luckely IDE support
is now added in the form of MSCDEX.
I only had 1 hate mail for this release, so I guess it is OK,
a lot more mails were VERY friendly, or in the form about complaining
about games running too fast.
3. How did you come up with the idea of plug-ins for the emulator?
Well, originally it was only intended for the GPU, because:
Because this idea worked out so well, we have made almost every device
a plugin now.
- We dont want to recompile the emulator when there is another
great new graphics board.
- We dont want to have the emulator crash because it is linked to
some glide2x.dll when the user doesnt have glide.
- we would like someone to be able to make a driver for some graphics
4. Do you think it will speed up the development process of PSEmu?
YES ! Examples are the MSCDEX driver, and the soon to be released
DirectDraw driver. At this moment, there is someone working on an
OpenGL GPU driver, someone on a Direct3D GPU driver and someone
is building a Joystick pad plugin.
5. Three months to christmas now. Do you think you will have Grand
Turismo running by then still?
I promised Duddie an UltraSCSI 2Gb harddisk if he gets Gran Turismo
to run on PSEmu Pro.. so I think Gran Turismo will run soon.
(Donations speed up development !)
6. What kinds of games need the most bang from the CPU? (Which games
don't run at 100% on your P333)
Mostly 3D games due to lots of GTE usage. For the rest, its hard to
say because for example Frogger runs at 6fps while Forsaken runs at 14
fps. I would say that Forsaken uses more of the Playstation than
Frogger does. Do remember that this version is nowhere near full
optimisation. There a lot of room left for improvement.
7. Will a throttle control be implemented so that it doesnt go over 100%?
I have implemented 'wait for vsync' in the Glide driver, and I think
this will also be implemented in the other GPU drivers. This limits
speed to the refresh rate of the monitor. In case of the 3dfx,
it limits to 60hz. This means a PAL playstation game will run a bit too
fast. If this is really going to be a problem, we'll see about it then.
I consider this to be a 'luxury problem' for now.
(You can send this fast processor to me, and I'll exchange it for one
that can barely make 50% of the speed .. now happy ? ;)
8. In the case where game originally don't play at 60fps, can the emulator
give the feel that the games are playing at a smoother rate (more FPS)
but still run at the same speed?
This depends on the way the game updates the screen. I would guess that
in most cases, it will appear to run much smoother. Only time will tell.
9. In a high end system, can you play any of the 3D games with a 3DFX Voodoo
2 card at a higher resolution than originally intended?
Currently, the 3dfx display is locked to 640x480 even if the game originally
runs in 320x240. I might make a selector so you can select 800x600 or
1024x768. It is not the most important thing right now.
10. Are all the special effects achieved by the Playstation hardware
effectively emulated yet?
On the new DirectDraw driver it is. The current GLIDE driver is a bit
messy. I will improve it soon, and then almost all effects will
be emulated. A certain transparency mode cannot be emulated because the
3dfx doesnt support it.
11. When do you think will we be able to take snapshots (at any speed) that
look identical to their PSEmu counterparts?
Unfortunately if will almost never be 'playstation perfect'. It will most
likely look better than the playstation original or worse, depending
on the game.
12. Are you planning a next release? If so, can you put a date stamp?
We'll be updating plugins and new revisions as soon as there has been
some significant improvements. At this rate, something should be updated
at least once a week now. I'm not setting a fixed release data
any more .. not since I was called a 'bastard' for not keeping
my promised release date ...
One Article Up: Neil Bradley Talks Retrocade!
One Article Down: Psyke does Tekken