Thierry Lescot, our first InterViewee ever, and the person in a very big
part for putting us on the map has resigned from Emulator coding, in particular
from his very own System16. Read on in this last Exclusive InterView on
the reasons for his retirement as Thierry elaborates on yesterdays message
on the System 16 Home Page.
|Exclusive InterView Thierrys Last Words - June 12, '98 by JoseQ
1. Without beating around the bush... Can you number
the reasons why you're leaving System16? What was the
issue that made you be sure about your decision?
I decided to leave the project for several reasons :
1. I'm very tired, my job takes lot of time, add to this 3 hours of training
each day and you can imagine the free time I have (I need to sleep and eat
also ;) !
2. I want to spare more time with my family, my cat and my TV :)
3. I'm also tired to read all these boring mails, they are always the same
like 'where can I get rom for game x', 'I have a problem, there is no sound
in moonwalker', 'add this, add that, give me this, give me that' STOP! I
have more interesting things to do than answering all these lamers's mail
that can't read a doc !
4. why so many peoples are complaining about a totally free product ?
5. I have two very good successors (Nao & Bartman) :)
2. Are you going to be working in a new Emulator or
is this the end of Emulation in your life?
No, I'm not working anymore on any emulator, I left the System 16 project
but I also left the MAME and soon the Retrocade beta team.
I'll continue to use emulators, but no more work on them.
3. How many people have already asked you not to
I'm receiving a lot of mails right now from very friendly peoples saying me
goodbye, good luck or asking me to continue. Like I said on my pages, it's
forever now. But thanks anyway for all your mails friends.
4. What big a part have lame e-mail taken in pusing
you over the top?
A big part.
Look the last mail I received from email@example.com
, the only text : "You
are a stupid fuck you bitch, kiss my ass pig"
5. Are you leaving your legacy to Nao or is there
someone else to take your place?
Li Jih Hwa (Nao) and Bartman will continue. Expect a new release of the DOS
version but only the Windows version will be supported and in a near futur,
the DOS port will be abandonned and only Win95 port will be released.
6. How long have you been thinking about ceasing
development for S16? Did you come to the decision lightly
or do you in part feel hurt?
A long time, but when I received the previous mail, it was the Click!
7. Is your leaving definite, or simply moving to a ver
limited contribution every now and then? (ver=very)
Definite but remember that the project continue with Nao.
8. Do you think the System16 will rather continue in
its Windows inception or the DOS original version?
Both for now, and only Windows later.
9. Was the windows port part of the reasons that made
you drop the DOS version?
Not at all.
10. Will you be available to help anybody willing to
follow your footsteps?
Maybe, i'd like to see more people emulating Sega games, another emu for DOS
would be nice.
11. How about moving your knowledge to MAME's attempt
to play Sega games? Will you be coding drivers now?
Argh! No more coding please, take to much time :)
11. Will the source be publicly available?
No, I don't want that. I can provide informations but not the sources.
Before leaving I was working on a C version of the System 16 redering
routines to allow port in other platforms but I stop that also, maybe Nao
will continue. That engine is used in a second s16 emu with some s16 games
like Shinobi or Aurail already playable in 64k colors mode. I can provide it
to anyone but without Starscream (the 68000 emulator from Neill Corlett), if
they want the 68000 emu, thay must ask it to Neill.
12. What things can the public do to maybe change your mind?
Offer me 1 billion dollars :)
just kidding :)
I'm leaving, final dot !
13. Do you think maybe some time away from the emulator
will give new breath and hunger in your hands to go back
and continue System 16 development?
14. What is the last message you want to send to the emulation
Just two words .... Good luck ;)
There we have it folks. The final words from Thierry
"Good Luck". We certainly thank him for eveyrthing he did for us EmuViews
and on behalf of the Emulation World we thank him for his phenomenal contributions.
We will miss him very much, and hope the best for him in his new life. On a personal
note, to all hate mailers, "I hope you rot in hell, thank you :)".
One Article Up: EV News? Barely...
One Article Down: New TMNT Emulator
Add Your Comments
||Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2000 - (2:12)
|Subject: I'm sadly surprised...|
Finally I found some words of the System16 emu great father... but seems that the man was really annoyed with all..and deeply downhearted. Like we seen later, nor Nao nor Bartman continue development, unhappyly. What can us do? Just wait a miracle, maybe.
But the hope is the last to die. I believe someday somebody will achieve the goal of finish Thierry's works.:)
[Post a reply]
Post Some NEW Comments on this topic...|