free football betting tips oddslot professional soccer betting picks uk
The Site for Views on Emulators

- VIEWS -
REVIEWS
INTERVIEWS
EV BOARD
EV CHAT
THE VIEWS
TOP LISTS

- PROFILES -
EMULATORS
ROMS LITE
ROMS

- OTHER -
NEWS
LINKS
PRIVACY

NEWS w/o ICONS

Some News... - November 29,1999 by JoseQ
Well, there's not a whole lot to report, so I'll mention a few things just so that you know that I'm alive, and you can give me some feedback on some stuff regardingthe site. First, let me give you a heads up on this Wednesday's Rumor Mill. I've already packed the bag withsome very exciting goodies. No peeking in the bag howeveruntil the due date, but I just wanted to let you know thatit's shaping up to be quite the Rumor Mill. Maybe the RumorMill of the millenium? Ok, so it's less than a year old, but nevertheless, it'll be good.
In other site news, I've been thinking about a coupleof things to add, but I'm not at all sure if you guys areinterested in it or not. First of all is NES ROMs, I'vegotten in touch with a friend who may be doing the dirtywork and getting the magic number, 500 NES ROMs along withaccompanying screenshots and the likes. I'm not so sure ifthis is something of interest to the average EmuViews visitor, but I thought it might be. After all, NES is nextto the Atari 2600 in legacy home entertainment and myworking NES is over 15 years old.
Secondly, I've been thinking of things to add to theROMs/Profiles section. One thing that have been asked isa 'Top' kind of listings, for example: "Top Downloads", "Top Rated", etc. Is this something that youwould like to see? I believe with the current design Icould add stuff like "Best Rated" in each of the fourcategories, as well as an Overall ratings list. As far asthe Top Downloads, that should be pretty easy to do.
Other things include the addition of 'samples' downloads, game recordings a'la MAME, Nesticle and others,music downloads from game music. What do you think of allthat? Please drop some lines here and let me know which ofthese you would prefer, or none at all, or some other newsuggestions you may have. Thanks for all your support, it'sdearly appreciated.

One Article Up: Raine News!
One Article Down: Space Quest Series for Amiga available!

Add Your Comments

Name: fyrty Posted: Thursday, December 2, 1999 - (22:21)
Subject: erfdfg
From:
f dbh

[Post a reply]

Name: Reiginsei Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (17:44)
Subject: Nes roms...
From:
While I'd love to see a huge collection of NES roms again on a great site such as EmuViews, I hate to say I think it'd be a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I love the console and have 300+ carts myself...

I've seen one too many sites shut down by Nintendo for having their roms, and some of those people were good friends of mine. While it was mostly over SNES roms, I still think NES would be too risky. My suggestion is just stick to other Non-Nintendo consoles and arcades. =)

[Post a reply]

Name: Refrenz Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (13:31)
Subject: Choons
From:
Putting Nintendo stuff up isn't worth the risk.

Game music would be cool though. I wonder if the MAME team would consider doing a .wav out recording option in a future MAME release ...

[Post a reply]

Name: Liam the lemming Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (15:07)
Subject: Re: Choons
From:
I wonder if the MAME team would consider doing a .wav out recording option in a future MAME release ...

Oh, how I wish that could be in a future release. I really love some of those arcade tunes. =)

[Post a reply]

Name: Dorsola Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - (15:49)
Subject: Re: Re: Choons
From:
>I wonder if the MAME team would consider
>doing a .wav out recording option in a future
>MAME release ...


>Oh, how I wish that could be in a future
>release. I really love some of those arcade
>tunes. =)

YEP! I had suggested this as a feature to add to the ROM profiles section, but I ran into the problem of not actually being able to record the game music/sounds like I wanted to. Even though I now have an SB Live, which can record its own output, I haven't been successful in getting a good WAV recording of anything coming out of MAME.

Please add this as a general feature, guys. We really could use it. :)

[Post a reply]

Name: Dave Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (12:37)
Subject: Older ROMs
From:
I like the idea of having a download section for classic NES titles, but is it worth the effort? Nintendo has stated that even freeware written for a Nintendo emulator is a violation of Nintendo's copyrights, so they might raise a stink if something they actually do own a copyright on gets posted.

On an unrelated note, here's another idea. I heard that Vectrex ROMs were made public domain by those who do own the rights to them, and I've heard nothing legal regarding pre-NES ROMs (Colecovision, Atari 2600, Intellivision, etc.) The entire collective work of ROMs for any of these consoles shouldn't be more than a few MB each. Perhaps you can change each set of console ROMs to one pack, with a list of titles?

[Post a reply]

Name: JoseQ Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (13:17)
Subject: Re: Older ROMs
From:
> Perhaps you can change each set of console ROMs to one pack, with a list of titles?
>

Like I've posted before, I have to pay by the bandwidth. If I offer them up in one shot, EmuViews gets less banner impressions, less clicks and thus, less bandwidth. Plus doing screenshots for packs would be a mess. Same for ratings.

JoseQ

[Post a reply]

Name: SAV2880 Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (12:27)
Subject: Atari 8-Bit is coming!
From:
[The room goes quiet!]

[Post a reply]

Name: anticupid Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (11:41)
Subject: Some suggestions...
From:
While I agree with the importance of NES as a home system I think the current sections could use some improvement.

First, I know this could be a lot of work and that JoseQ doesn't have a foundness for all these things but it would be really nice to download the clones of a game in a split merge file so that if I have the base set of a game I only need to download the parts I don't have.

Second, I know some other sites out there already provide rom fixes for games that get changed in Mame and it would be nice to have those available more widely. Taking the concept of the fix files a set further, the last few Raine releases have seen me manually patching my set of roms. Granted it isn't that hard to do but it would also be nice to download fix files for them as well.

Third, a lot of sites are posting roms for the next emulator release, be it Mame, Raine or something else, before the release happens. Yes I know there is a danger in downloading these releases as they may not be the correct set for when the release acutally happens. If you combine the prerelease of the roms with fix files should they be needed when the release actually comes out that could help solve some of that problem.

Fourth, I know they are huge and ugly but having a complete (or complete less the games not in Mame) set of NeoGeo roms available for download would be nice. (ducks out of way of a NG console flying at his head). I know this could be troublesome but they are a big part of arcade game history that are missing from a lot of the main stream emulation sites out there. I ask you all to be honset to yourself, before you got into emulation had you not played a NeoGeo game somewhere without even releasing it?

Fifth, another thing to keep in mind is The Impact and if the roms are going to be hosted here...

Sixth, what about hosting freeware rom...

Lastly, a comment - I would try to stay away from offering SMS and Genesis games since I have heard that Sega is working on a plan to make these available for sale and download on the Internet for play on Dreamcast.

ac.

[Post a reply]

Name: JoseQ Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (12:03)
Subject: Re: Some suggestions...
From:
While I agree that those things would be very nice to have, sadyly, I don't think I can do most of them. That is because they would require extraordinary and constant amounts of time. Here's the specifics:

1. Separate Un-Merged ROMs

EmuViews does not support clones up until there are final releases of MAME when all the merged files are cleaned up. The reason? It's simply too
much work. If I could somehow automate the merging
and unmerging of ROMs, I would do it. I will look into this since I believe there is a way I could.

2. Fix Files

The same thing. The main thing is I don't get the point of having 100% complete MAME set. First, I consider it absurd to have games that you would never play even if you own them. Second, why have
the clones if the original game works? Only if you own them, I would understand wanting to have that particular one. The clones just don't rank too high on my priority list.

3. Pre-Released ROMs

I don't do MAME builds because again it's too much work and I don't have the time. :( Thus, I
cannot test ROMs before release. I don't like
posting un-verified ROMs, or replying to hundreds
of mail notes when a ROM changes and it no longer
works.

4. Neo Geo

This one I don't do because it's too expensive and resource intensive. As it is, my FTPs get full whenever there's a MAME or Raine release. If I keep adding big files, the FTPs would be full for bigger periods of time. Keep in mind there are over 500 download slots available, so it's a
whole lot of bandwidth. Secondly, I'm charged by the Kilobyte. Which means that for some ROMs, even if you clicked on every banner on the site, it would still cost me a lot of money to host them.

5. The Impact ROMs

If The Impact becomes available, I will post ROMs here as they allow me to. If the dumpers ask me not to post them, I will comply with their wishes.
They will most likely be in split form.

6. Freeware ROMs

I think I can find some time to getting those and hosting. That's a will do. :)

7. Genesis ROMs for sale by Sega

I guess that may be a problem when they do it. I don't have any Genesis ROMs here or plan to for at least a year or more. If it becomes a problem, I will not host them. SMS is probably fine.

I'm sorry for all the negative answers, but what I'm looking is for some features that I could add to the site which would be highly automated. Just like the comment sections, ROM profiles, it requires very little extra work from what I was doing before they existed, if any at all. Same with the Top Downloads list and the other things I mentioned.

These ideas, while still good, would require extra time or helpers, and I don't have either. :(

JoseQ

[Post a reply]

Name: Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (18:38)
Subject: Re: Re: Some suggestions...
From:
>1. Separate Un-Merged ROMs

this should be easy to automate using the gameinfo files most emulators supply. Granted it would take a fair bit of code to setup but after that it would be automated...

>2. Fix Files

Same as above. Granted you would need to compare two of the gameinfo files for changes but it could still be automated through some coding and would save on some of the downloading I think...

>3. Pre-Released ROMs

That one makes sense. I guess I was just having a bit of a flash back to when most of the Raine roms where available before the release happened. I know the Raine team has really cut back on what is made available before release so there is really nothing you can do there.

>4. Neo Geo

I knew that one would not be well received but it was a suggestion that would have fit in well with what is already being done. And even though I am not a huge NeoGeo fan I still stand by my original statement that this was a very important arcade platform.

>5. The Impact ROMs

The NeoGeo roms are too big but the Impact roms aren't. I really do not understand the logic there since the Impact roms I have seen are huge and that coresponds to what I have been told as well...

>6. Freeware ROMs

This was basically the easy suggestion :)

>7. Genesis ROMs for sale by Sega
>
>I guess that may be a problem when they do it. I >don't have any Genesis ROMs here or plan to for >at least a year or more. If it becomes a >problem, I will not host them. SMS is probably >fine.

I think if Sega is selling SMS roms they will be on the lookout for people selling them. With the news of all these emulators soing up on the Dreamcast it is starting to make me wonder if the are going to be emulating their old arcade games soon too...

>I'm sorry for all the negative answers, but what >I'm looking is for some features that I could >add to the site which would be highly automated. >Just like the comment sections, ROM profiles, it >requires very little extra work from what I was >doing before they existed, if any at all. Same >with the Top Downloads list and the other things >I mentioned.

>These ideas, while still good, would require >extra time or helpers, and I don't have either. >:(

No problem on the negative respones, you opened the floor to suggestions so I offered some. I had a feeling most won't go over well but they were worth trying anyways :)

ac.

[Post a reply]

Name: JoseQ Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (21:46)
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Some suggestions...
From:
>this should be easy to automate using the gameinfo files most emulators supply. Granted it would take a fair bit of code to setup but after that it would be automated...
>

That's what I was thinking. I'll give it a try sometime, but I think it's fairly complicated to code, so I'll wait until I have a good set again (after final .36)

>That one makes sense. I guess I was just having a bit of a flash back to when most of the Raine roms where available before the release happened. I know the Raine team has really cut back on what is made available before release so there is really nothing you can do there.

Yes, they used to let the ROMs come out before the releases, but now it's just the opposite, they don't let the ROMs come out even after the release. Oh well... :(

>I knew that one would not be well received but it was a suggestion that would have fit in well with what is already being done. And even though I am not a huge NeoGeo fan I still stand by my original statement that this was a very important arcade platform.

I do agree that they're important, and I actually like them. But...

>The NeoGeo roms are too big but the Impact roms aren't. I really do not understand the logic there since the Impact roms I have seen are huge and that coresponds to what I have been told as well...

How many Impact ROMs do you know of? I have two. How many Neo Geo ROMs do you know of?

Then, how many Neo Geo fans are there? How many Impact fans are there? Truth is, big Neo Geo ROMs are hunted like there was no tomorrow, but Impact ROMs, right now, most people don't care, and anyways, if there are many impact ROMs when the release happens, then I'm sorry, but I won't be able to host all of them.

As it is I have 41 Neo Geo ROMs online all the time, so I'm not sure why you're complaining.

>I think if Sega is selling SMS roms they will be on the lookout for people selling them. With the news of all these emulators soing up on the Dreamcast it is starting to make me wonder if the are going to be emulating their old arcade games soon too...
>

I don't think Sega will sell SMS games. What I heard is Sega Genesis, no SMS. I think SMS is too old for them to even think about selling play once kind of gaming.

JoseQ

[Post a reply]

Name: Finn Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - (15:20)
Subject: Re: Some suggestions...
From:
jesus christ... jose runs this huge, free site and everyone wants more, more, more... whatever jose wants to do with his site is fine with me because it's his site and he pays the bills for it, not me.

[Post a reply]

Name: anticupid Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - (10:03)
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some suggestions...
From:
>Yes, they used to let the ROMs come out before >the releases, but now it's just the opposite, >they don't let the ROMs come out even after the >release. Oh well... :(

The story behind that one is apparently we have to wait for Romlist to release the games. Apparently a couple other games could have been included in the most recent build but they weren't available for anyone to upload so they were left out. I think the reason behind including Grid Seeker was that it was already in .25c and widely known about. As for Euro Champ 92, if I am not mistaken it is a clone of Football Champ which has been released.

>How many Impact ROMs do you know of? I have two. >How many Neo Geo ROMs do you know of?

Well I think there are currently six rom sets for Impact floating around various sites. And based on the number of Tatio FX-1 games and the fact that Impact is suppose to emulate that system I think that number is just the tip of the iceberg...

>Then, how many Neo Geo fans are there? How many >Impact fans are there? Truth is, big Neo Geo >ROMs are hunted like there was no tomorrow, but >Impact ROMs, right now, most people don't care, >and anyways, if there are many impact ROMs when >the release happens, then I'm sorry, but I won't >be able to host all of them.

Right now not a lot of people really care about Impact but how many people cared about N64 roms before UltraHLE? I think the potential audience for Impact is fairly large since the games are primilarlly fighers which seem to attract the more undesirable crowd in the emulation scene.

>As it is I have 41 Neo Geo ROMs online all the >time, so I'm not sure why you're complaining.

I am not complaining, it was more a comment that it would be nice to have the NeoGeo roms someplace where it was easy to find them. It is actually more of a complement as to how well done your rom section is than a complaint...

>I don't think Sega will sell SMS games. What I >heard is Sega Genesis, no SMS. I think SMS is >too old for them to even think about selling >play once kind of gaming.

I must have read it wrong then, it did seem a little strange to me...

ac.

[Post a reply]

Name: JoseQ Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - (10:12)
Subject: Re: Some suggestions...
From:

>Right now not a lot of people really care about Impact but how many people cared about N64 roms before UltraHLE? I think the potential audience for Impact is fairly large since the games are primilarlly fighers which seem to attract the more undesirable crowd in the emulation scene.

A lot of people already cared about N64 ROMs since they were being copied long before UltraHLE came out. But you're right, they will be sought like crazy after Impact comes out, if it ever does.


>

>I must have read it wrong then, it did seem a little strange to me...

I believe they said TG16 games, but that sounded a little strange to me too. However, Daily Radar pulled the story as I couldn't find it anymore later yesterday.

JoseQ

[Post a reply]

Name: anticupid Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - (20:00)
Subject: Re: Re: Some suggestions...
From:
>I believe they said TG16 games, but that sounded >a little strange to me too. However, Daily Radar >pulled the story as I couldn't find it anymore >later yesterday.

I found the story again today on IGN and it said Genesis and TG16 games. If I remember correctly the TG16 was made by NEC and NEC is involved in the Dreamcast making the graphics subsystem. Maybe the whole TG16 games on DC was a deal to help keep NEC loyal to the DC... Who knows for sure...

ac.

[Post a reply]

Name: Gerald Gorman Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (10:27)
Subject: SID collection
From:
(to Nebol and Gridle)

Yeah, I already have them all, just wanted to share. It'll be great to add some tunes or sound scores besides the screenshots of the c64 games that JoseQ hosts here... just a thought.

GG

[Post a reply]

Name: Crisis Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (7:39)
Subject: development
From:
a note next to emulator downloads of wheateher an emulator has its source code released to the public or not
src(y/n) would be good to see
The nes roms sound like a great idea and maybe a few emu development links

[Post a reply]

Name: kilrathi Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (6:58)
Subject: I Love It
From:
Well I love the idea of NES ROMs. Keeps us using the oldies.

[Post a reply]

Name: Fabiano Atreides Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (5:59)
Subject: Nes, YES!
From:
Nes Roms would be great!
Top list is also a very good idea!
Music, well, i like the idea but i dont consider it a priority.

[Post a reply]

Name: casey Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (5:44)
Subject: arcade style joysticks
From:
First there was the hot rod. Now there are several, like stick-it, v-stick, super prostick and a few others. How about a web address list, screen shots, and reviews for the arcade style joysticks?

[Post a reply]

Name: Erling1000 Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - (4:31)
Subject: Great idea. (NT)
From:
>First there was the hot rod. Now there are several, like stick-it, v-stick, super prostick and a few others. How about a web address list, screen shots, and reviews for the arcade style joysticks?
>

[Post a reply]

Name: Rafael Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (5:26)
Subject: Try to get this one...
From:
Grid Seeker for Raine is a very, very dificult ROM to find in the web... Can you get this one for the Raine fans?... :-)

[Post a reply]

Name: Djidjo Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (5:10)
Subject: NES Roms ! And maybe an "unemulated systems" section
From:
Yes ! That would be great if you added NES Roms ! I think the NES was the best consoles with the best games ever made. (2d is Saturn)
And also, I think that an "unemulated systems" section would be good, with links on sites where emus are beeing developped.
Examples :
SEGA System32 : emu "on the work" at IvilDed's site
Saturn : A-Saturn (http://www.emuunlim.com/A-Saturn/) , Lucifer emu (http://www.emuunlim.com/Lucifer/)...

Personnally, I have no interest in MP3 music or so, and it's already available at VintageGaming.

Maybe also : a list of sites where Retrogamers can buy online rare and used games for old systems.
I have many links concerning this. Contact me if you're interested : djidjobanjo@hotmail.com

Anyway, your site will always remain the greatest :o)

Djidjo

[Post a reply]

Name: Mister K Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (3:58)
Subject: Some ideas...
From:
I prefer extra stuff, like videogames music in MP3, game saves, manuals, box arts, etc.

[Post a reply]

Name: Richard Bannister Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (2:55)
Subject: Thoughts on NES...
From:
I'm not against adding of NES ROMs, but I'd like to see some sort of naming standard.

NES ROM Info for Mac, written by me, recognises and renames over 2,000 different NES ROMs based on the CRC.

If someone has a Mac and has the ROMs - NES never interested me much - you might want to have a look.

Regards,
Richard

[Post a reply]

Name: Johnny Racecar Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (2:16)
Subject: Nintendo Power!!!
From:
i think that nintendo was mainly pissed off at the n64 roms.

[Post a reply]

Name: rrm Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (0:48)
Subject: mean old nintendo
From:
the only thing i see as a possible
negative with adding nes roms to
your page is, well, nintendo.
i dont know, but considering thier track
record you might leave yourself open
to haressment by the big N.

eh other than that bit of paranoia, i like the idea :)

lk

[Post a reply]

Name: JoseQ Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (1:16)
Subject: Re: mean old nintendo
From:
If they ask me to take them down, I can always comply with them. Life will go on. :)

JoseQ

>the only thing i see as a possible
>negative with adding nes roms to
>your page is, well, nintendo.
>i dont know, but considering thier track
>record you might leave yourself open
>to haressment by the big N.
>
>eh other than that bit of paranoia, i like the idea :)
>
>lk
>

[Post a reply]

Name: Gerald Gorman Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (0:15)
Subject: What about...?
From:
In the most common sites, I don't remember seen SID music files (from the C64). Old dave's classics had (and still has in vintagegaming) mp3 music from the C64, but not SID files, which are like NSF and SPC files for NES and SNES respectively. They sound great, and there's already a lot of utilities to play them (stand alone programs and winamp plugins). Maybe it's a good idea to add them.. just my 2 cents


GG

[Post a reply]

Name: Nebol Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (4:59)
Subject: Re: What about...?
From:

Just check out the High Voltage SID Collection,
about 20.000 SID songs in a couple of zip's.
That should take care of your needs, and save
JoseQ lots of work.. or maybe he could just
mirror the files, I don't know...

>In the most common sites, I don't remember seen SID music files (from the C64). Old dave's classics had (and still has in vintagegaming) mp3 music from the C64, but not SID files, which are like NSF and SPC files for NES and SNES respectively. They sound great, and there's already a lot of utilities to play them (stand alone programs and winamp plugins). Maybe it's a good idea to add them.. just my 2 cents
>
>
>GG
>

[Post a reply]

Name: Gridle Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (4:39)
Subject: http://www.hvsc.c64.org/
From:
http://www.hvsc.c64.org/

[Post a reply]

Name: EDGAR Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (0:12)
Subject: Nes!!
From:
Jose, you da man, all of your ideas sound very appealing especially the mention of Nes ROMS =)

[Post a reply]

Name: Beebob Posted: Monday, November 29, 1999 - (23:51)
Subject: Yeah
From:
Roms by the popularity, that sounds like a really great idea. Also NES is a great thing to add. It's a very classic emulator. Also add Atari 2600 roms too, it's a classic!

[Post a reply]

Name: JoseQ Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - (1:16)
Subject: Re: Yeah
From:
What do you mean, I've had Atari 2600 ROMs for almost a month now. About 500 of them. :)

JoseQ

>Roms by the popularity, that sounds like a really great idea. Also NES is a great thing to add. It's a very classic emulator. Also add Atari 2600 roms too, it's a classic!
>

[Post a reply]

Post Some NEW Comments on this topic...
Name:
Subject:
Text:

© 2002 EmuViews